[Wsssc] Legislative Session - Data Requests

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Thu Jan 12 08:54:24 PST 2023

Dear WSSSC Colleagues,

I write sitting in the House listening to testimony on HB 1156 looking to expand access and eligibility of the WA College grant from 5 years to 6 years, to align with federal aid policy. This will positively impact approx. 6,000 students in our system to maintain funds to complete credentials. So far, the testimony is unanimous in favor, and we expect this could move as soon as Friday. This collaborative and data-informed effort will unquestionably support the retention and completion of our WA students who face many complex struggles to complete their education.

The reason I write is related to supporting the needs of of our students, institutions, and communities. I ask that you please see the message below from Deputy Executive Director of Business Operations, Choi Halliday, speaking to the critical need and turn around time for college data and fiscal requests. Of important note, "SBCTC may be provided no more than a couple of days, and sometimes only a few hours, to respond to data and fiscal needs from the legislator." As the newbie to the team, I can humbly confirm this is true!

We cannot express our appreciation and gratitude enough for your timely collaboration of behalf of your institution and our system. I am counting down the hours to meet many of you in-person in Vancouver and share many more exciting updates from this legislative session. Thank you in advance for your support.

[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu*<mailto:lhibbs at sbctc.edu*> o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."