[Wsssc] CESC update

Claire Peinado Claire.Peinado at skagit.edu
Wed Jan 11 19:16:11 PST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this new year finds you healthy and well!  I'm writing to share an update regarding CESC (Career & Employment Services Council), which you may recall has been an ongoing topic for WSSSC across a number of years.  At our last commission meeting, three of us (Michele Waltz, Sue Orchard, and I) were tasked with developing a plan to address CESC challenges.  In consultation with WSSSC exec, we proposed retiring the current Council structure of CESC and moving toward alternative models that more effectively move our shared career development interests forward across the system.

For process integrity, we met with some of the key leads of the current CESC group today to share this new vision.  We were joined by Christine McMullin, the current SBCTC policy analyst and rep to CESC.  As you can imagine, it was a tough but fruitful conversation.  And we remain committed to our shared interests in developing career services models throughout our colleges and supporting these colleagues as key informants to our Guided Pathways strategies.

At our upcoming winter WSSSC meeting, we will bring forward a request to officially retire CESC as a current council, consistent with our bylaws, and call for a vote.  We will also facilitate a conversation to solicit your feedback and interests in alternative models that achieve our collective career development goals (as a key pillar of Guided Pathways and reflected in our WSSSC workplan).

You may be hearing from your current CESC liaison as news travels fast, so we wanted you to be aware that this conversation took place today.  Please don't hesitate to reach out to me, Sue, or Michele if you have specific questions about today's conversation with CESC reps, or the proposed vote at our upcoming WSSSC meeting.

Look forward to seeing you all in a few short weeks.

Claire

Claire E. Peinado, PhD
Vice President for Student Services
Skagit Valley College