[Wsssc] FW: Mental Health First Aid Instructor Training

Orchard, Sue sorchard at lcc.ctc.edu
Wed Oct 5 07:33:31 PDT 2022

Good morning, WSSSC-

Sharing an opportunity at LCC to train folks on Mental Health First Aid Instructor Training – see email below. Please share and encourage folks to reach out to Richard Arquette at rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu<mailto:rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu> with any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks!
Sue

Sue Orchard, PsyD
Vice President of Student Services
Title IX Deputy Coordinator
Lower Columbia College
360.442.2301
sorchard at lowercolumbia.edu<mailto:sorchard at lowercolumbia.edu>
She/her/hers pronouns

Good afternoon CUSP!

I am reaching out to share about an exciting professional opportunity! LCC, supported by our student government, will be hosting Mental Health First Aid Instructor Training in Longview, WA on December 7-9, 2022. We will be hosting a private on-site training, which is enabling us to open the training at a discounted rate for other members of the SBCTC system and community organizations. Participants in the training will be certified to facilitate the nationally recognized Mental Health First Aid certification training both on their campuses and in their communities. (Please help us spread the word to your colleagues at your campuses, who might be interested in this training, even if this would not be a student life function.)

What is Mental Health First Aid?
MHFA is a course that teaches participants how to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The training helps participants identify, understand, and respond to signs of addictions and mental illnesses. And it is through instructors that we are able to spread MHFA on our campuses, communities, and beyond. You can learn more about MHFA and becoming an instructor here: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org<https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/>

Training Details

  1.  Dates: December 7-9, 2022 + post-training higher education module*
  2.  Times: 9am to 5pm each day
  3.  Location: Lower Columbia College in Longview, WA
  4.  Costs**: SBCTC Colleges & Community Organizations - $1500 per participant (cost normally would be $2200)
  5.  Information sessions: I will be hosting and information session/Q&A opportunity on Wednesday October 12th at 12pm via zoom if you want more information: https://lowercolumbia.zoom.us/j/85699054238

* In addition to the in-person training, individuals who plan to facilitate on college/university campuses, will complete the higher education module. This is done after the training virtually and is self-paced.
** Includes cost of training certification, training materials, light breakfast and lunch on all three days. You are responsible for any travel accommodations you might need.

Applying for the LCC sponsored instructor training
Individuals interested in participating in the LCC sponsored instructor training on December 7-9, must complete this interest form. Once received, we will review your submission and reach out no later than October 31st to notify you of your status (accepted or waitlist). Once you have been accepted, you will be sent a final registration, which must be completed by November 7th.

There are only 16 spots available for this training, priority will be given to LCC faculty/staff and SBCTC colleges. To aid in expanding access to MHFA more broadly within the SBCTC system, we will priority offering one spot initially to someone from an SBCTC college and offer additional spots if they are available. Cowlitz county community organizations are also encouraged to apply as well. If there is additional interest beyond the 16 spots, we will keep a wait list and notify you should a spot become available.

If this is something you are interested in, please complete the following interest form by October 31st: https://forms.gle/CTvLq4QUpA1GHPD57

If you have any questions, please attend the campus information session or email me directly at rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu<mailto:rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu>

All the best,

All the best,

Richard Arquette (he/him/his<https://www.mypronouns.org/>)
Director of Student Programs and Student Housing
Lower Columbia College | Student Center (STC) 107
(o) (360) 442-2443 | (c) (360) 703-5360
rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu<mailto:%20rarquette at lowercolumbia.edu> | lowercolumbia.edu/student-life<https://lowercolumbia.edu/student-life>
Strengths Finder | Restorative | Significance | Responsibility | Futuristic | Focus