[Wsssc] NWAC meeting

Robert Cox robert.cox at centralia.edu
Tue Jul 5 09:38:19 PDT 2022

Good morning!

I have been asked to coordinate a meeting for the afternoon of August 2nd to discuss Athletics. Some schools have realized during the past few COVID years that athletics is a great way to maintain student enrollment. At Centralia, our number of athletes grew as our enrollment overall dropped. A few VP's thought that we should have a discussion about the future of our athletic programs. Specifically, there is interest in starting new programs that are not currently recognized by the NWAC including esports, bowling and Lacrosse. NWAC recognition is important because it allows colleges can use waivers to fund the scholarships.

I wanted to send this invitation to all of the WSSSC members since even technical schools may be interested in participating in the conversation as the new opportunities may be applicable for their campuses.

Please let me and Nicole Zock, copied on this message, know if you are interested in the meeting either in-person or remotely. The details are:

August 2nd
2:00-5:00
On-campus and remote (if needed)

Marco Azurdia, NWAC Executive Director will be at the meeting to walk us through the process to add new NWAC sports and how to start a current NWAC sport.

I am excited to host you all at Centralia. It will be amazing to see you in-person!

Robert Cox
Vice President - Student Services
Centralia College