[Wsssc] I've got another one...

Cosby, Glen Glen.Cosby at scc.spokane.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:11:29 PDT 2022

Hi colleagues, and thanks to those of you who provided input on my question about a “floater” classified position (disclosure: apparently no one has them, but several of you thought it was a good idea 😊).  My question for you today is this: do any of you use social workers as part of your student services team?  We currently have a social work intern through a partnership with Eastern Washington University, and while that has worked fairly well, the counselor supervising the intern is leaving us at the end of the year and we have no one with her social work background qualified to continue; in addition, the workload and the need to connect students with external resources (housing, child care, health care, addiction treatment, etc.) is outstripping the capacity of any intern.  For this reason, our president has expressed interest in hiring a full-time social worker to assist our team in providing wrap-around holistic services for our students.  I am unaware of any precedent in our system for this, but like most of you I get surprises almost daily, so rather than assume and presume I figured I’d put it out there.  I know there are colleges outside our system that do this (Amarillo College springs to mind), but how about any of us?  If you do, I’d love to see a position description and to learn more about how the employees is classed and supervised.  Thanks for whatever help you can offer.  See you in Wenatchee!

[cid:image001.png at 01D84B26.D07EC900]

Glen A Cosby, Ph.D (preferred pronouns: he, him, his)
Vice President of Student Services
Spokane Community College
MS 2150
1810 N Greene St.