[Wsssc] FW: 2021-2022 Faculty of Color Cross Institution Mentoring Program

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Sep 9 12:48:36 PDT 2021

Colleagues: see below, FYI.

From: Carli Schiffner <cschiffner at sbctc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 12:33 PM
To: INSTCOMM at LISTSERV.CENTRALIA.EDU
Subject: 2021-2022 Faculty of Color Cross Institution Mentoring Program

Please share!

Dear Washington State Community and Technical College Leadership,

On behalf of Washington’s State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, and the Cross Institution Faculty of Color Mentoring Program (CIFoCMP) advisory board, we are pleased to announce that enrollment for the 2021-2022 program is now open! Registration is available at our Faculty of Color Mentoring website<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/faculty-of-color-mentorship/default.aspx>.

We value your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. As a way to demonstrate your advocacy, please encourage your institution’s full-time tenure track and tenured faculty of color to register for the 6th cohort of our program. Another way to show your support for this much needed professional development opportunity is through sponsorship. Due to the ongoing pandemic and the uncertainty of each colleges’ fiscal situation, our programming has been temporarily scaled back. Therefore, our registration fees have been significantly reduced this year. The silver lining to these difficult adjustments is that it’s more feasible for you to support faculty participation in our program.

We also ask that you share this registration information with key administrators such as your Instructional Deans and Department Chairs, who connect directly with faculty on a daily basis and can invite them to register for the program. Individualized and intentional invitations from leadership have been effective for outreach with this program.

Research demonstrates that mentoring is a high impact practice for the retention of Black, Indigenous and other faculty of color in higher education. As such, our program provides critical support for new and senior faculty. We are excited about offering a culturally relevant, collective mentoring model to accommodate participants online this year. The CIFoCMP also builds a sense of community and increases opportunities for networking. Grounded in research and theory, all our efforts are intentional in design and meant to empower faculty of color who are often isolated in their respective institutions due to underrepresentation.

We greatly appreciate your leadership and support for Black, Indigenous and other faculty of color. The advisory board looks forward to continuing a collaborative partnership as you work towards fulfilling your institutional commitments to diverse faculty who bring a wealth of talent and multicultural ways of knowing that benefit our student body.

If you have any questions visit the Faculty of Color Mentoring Website<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/faculty-of-color-mentorship/default.aspx>, or contact:

Donna Miguel

(pronouns<https://assets2.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/TalkingAboutPronouns_onesheet_FINAL.pdf?_ga=2.223381340.692895893.1571303053-596389215.1571303053>: she, her, hers)

CIFoCMP Program Co-Chair (interim)

Full Professor, English Department
Bellevue College
(425) 564-2553
d.miguel at bellevuecollege.edu<mailto:d.miguel at bellevuecollege.edu>

Tanya Velasquez

(pronouns<https://assets2.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/TalkingAboutPronouns_onesheet_FINAL.pdf?_ga=2.223381340.692895893.1571303053-596389215.1571303053>: she, her, hers)

CIFoCMP Program Co-Chair (interim)
Associate Teaching Professor - Sociology; Ethnic, Gender & Labor Studies
Social & Historical Sciences Division, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
Director of Faculty Engagement and Racial Equity Initiatives, Office of Equity and Inclusion
University of Washington Tacoma
GWP, Room 233, 1900 Commerce Street, Tacoma, Wa 98402
Contact info.: iamtanya at uw.edu<mailto:iamtanya at uw.edu>; (253) 692-5847