[Wsssc] Student Services Bill Watch February 19

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Fri Feb 19 08:51:39 PST 2021

WSSSC: attached is this week's Student Services Bill Watch. Not too many changes, but note that House Bill 1166 expanding the pilot program for Supports for Students Experiencing Homelessness (SSEH) is moving fast, already on the House floor. Still needs to get through the Senate, though. Another fast-moving bill - already on the Governor's Desk - is House Bill 1368 providing COVID financial relief to undocumented students. We are still concerned about Senate Bill 5194, although it has been amended mostly to satisfy our concerns. Presidents Stokes and Harrell are testifying about those concerns in Senate Ways & Means this morning. One thing we like about 5194 is that it includes (in Section 6) almost the same wording for a pilot program to implement counseling best practices. House Bill 1468, also creating the pilot program, has stalled for some reason in House Appropriations.

Mark your scorecards accordingly! Happy Friday.

Joe

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."