[Wsssc] 2019-2020 Data Collection on Mental Health and Suicide Prevention

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Mon May 18 09:23:36 PDT 2020

WSSSC Colleagues:

This email and accompanying attachments are to support you as you respond to the 2019-2020 Data Collection for Postsecondary Education across Washington. This survey was an outgrowth of Senate Bill 6514 (2018), the mental health and suicide prevention law that mandates collection of baseline and trend data at higher education institutions in Washington state.

This survey seeks information from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. Submission of the survey must take place no later than July 31. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are taking the unusual step of significantly simplifying the data collection effort for the 2019-2020 academic year. The survey includes just seven questions, focusing on basic metrics related to mental health and suicide prevention.

Here is your link to the digital survey: https://redcap.link/sb6514.2020. REDCap is a secure web application used by the University of Washington.

Attachments to this email include:

·       A PDF of the 2020 survey (with fillable forms) for your convenience

·       If your institution participated in the 2018-2019 survey, you will receive a sample of that data submitted by your institution for the 2018-2019 survey, set alongside data from all participating institutions in your sector. This data sample is intended to help you see where your institution fits in in comparison to your peer institutions statewide.

·       The 2019 Data Collection Report to the legislature, filed Dec. 1, 2019. The report makes recommendations regarding future state investments in postsecondary mental health and suicide prevention.

A word about student suicide data:

·       This survey asks about the number of student suicides and suicide attempts experienced by your campus. In neither case is location of the event to be considered.

·       All data, including student suicides and suicide attempts, is aggregated by sector and reported by sector only. No institutions are named in the report, except in an appendix listing all participants.

·       Forefront Suicide Prevention staff who analyzed the 2019 data took pains to ensure that all reported data reflected valid information. This practice will continue.

Contact info:
If you have any questions about the 2019-2020 survey, please contact Ambyr Travis, altravis at uw.edu<mailto:altravis at uw.edu> at Forefront Suicide Prevention, University of Washington.

                             [Joe]
jholliday at sbctc.edu<mailto:jholliday at sbctc.edu>• o: 360-704-4334 • f: 360-704-4418
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>

SBCTC Vision:

“Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”