[Wsssc] Mask information

Robert Cox robert.cox at centralia.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:42:18 PDT 2020

Good afternoon!

I heard that at the meeting this morning people were asking about masks. I was asked to share the information we (Centralia) got from Dave Stolier. This is a summary of the information that I ran by him earlier today.

We sent Dave the link to our website with info about masks.

The general response was as follows.....

It is best to notify students as soon as possible that masks are  a required condition in face to face classes so students don't learn about the requirement when they show up on the first day of class. Early notification will allow let them adjust their schedule early while classes may still be available if they are unable or unwilling to wear masks.

With the Governor's directives and L&I requirements, we can let students know that if they refuse to wear a mask they will not be allowed to enter into a F2F classroom.  They have the choice of wear a mask to attend F2F or go online.

For student conduct:

WAC 132L-350-010:  To that end, Centralia College maintains a strong commitment to providing a civil and non-disruptive learning environment. Students are reminded that they assume certain responsibilities of performance and conduct which have been reasonably established in order to accomplish Centralia College's education goals. Therefore, the college expects that students will conduct themselves as responsible members of the college community, will comply with the rules and regulations of the college, will maintain high standards of integrity and honesty, and will respect the rights, privileges, and property of other members of the college community.

And this, as prohibited conduct under 132L-350-080(7): Failure to comply with directive. Failure to comply with the direction of a college officer or employee who is acting in the legitimate performance of his or her duties, including failure to properly identify oneself to such a person when requested to do so."   The Governor's directive and L&I give make a "wear mask" directive in legitimate performance of duties.

Plus, these two:
(18) Safety violations. Safety violation includes any non-accidental conduct that interferes with or otherwise compromises any college policy, equipment, or procedure relating to the safety and security of the campus community, including tampering with fire safety equipment and triggering false alarms or other emergency response systems.
(19) Violation of other laws or policies. Violation of any federal, state, or local law, rule or regulation or other college rules or policies, including college traffic and parking rules.

We would need to accommodate medical reasons that would not allow a student to wear a mask (employee too).  We would likely need to go down the usual accommodation road: asking to supply a medical reason/doctor's note.    Some of the challenge with the RA road is that it would be dicey to challenge what a doctor is saying.  We can still have them attest, social distance, provide alternate/distanced spaces.

I hope this is helpful!

Robert Cox
Vice President of Student Services
Centralia College