[Wsssc] WACs on Student Debt

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Dec 17 13:31:12 PST 2020

Colleagues: several of you have WACs that continue to state that student transcripts will be withheld for non-payment of debts. When House Bill 2513 became law in June this year, and a subsequent workgroup composed of WSSSC, ARC, BAC, and Business Officers determined that we would no longer withhold transcripts for any purpose system-wide, those WACs became outdated. Here is an example of a WAC that needs to be changed, from one of our colleges, in case helpful:

"If any person, including faculty member, staff member, student, or former student, is indebted to the institution for an outstanding overdue debt, the institution need not provide any further services of any kind to such individual, including, but not limited to, admission, course registration, library access, transmitting files, records, transcripts, or other services which have been requested by such person."

In the above example, I believe you would only need to delete the word "transcripts" to bring it into compliance.

Please review your WACs and bring them into compliance with our new policy and HB 2513. A similar message will be sent to BAC. Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your attention to this.

                             [Joe]

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."