[Wsssc] Example social media policies from AAG Dave Stolier

Laura McDowell lmcdowell at sbctc.edu
Mon Aug 10 11:12:31 PDT 2020

Good morning,

During his July 8 webinar on First Amendment Rights, Sr. Assistant Attorney General Dave Stolier promised to send our system two model policies:

  *   A model expressive speech policy (emailed to you on July 23, 2020).
  *   Example social media policies (attached here).

For the social media policies, Dave found examples from other organizations, and then edited/adapted the language to make them less subject to challenge. Dave pointed out that he removed words like "offensive" "abusive" or "insulting" because those phrases are subjective.  He reminded us that one of the classic First Amendment cases arose in the 1960s with someone being arrested for wearing a shirt that said "Fxxx the Draft." He also pointed out that "once size does not fit all."  The purpose of your social media use is important to your terms of use.
While Dave has not vetted the following websites, I thought I'd share them because they appear to track well with the advice he shared during the webinar.

  *   Northern Carolina State University free speech page<https://www.ncsu.edu/free-speech/>
  *   University of Colorado Legal Issue Brief<https://www.cu.edu/sites/default/files/Vol%206%2C%20Issue%201--Final.pdf> (This brief dates back to spring 2012 but includes a good description of the fundamental legal principles of free speech in a university setting. That said, you might recall Dave saying that citing "fighting words" as a reason to limit free speech probably won't fly with the courts. More here<https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/IF11072.pdf>. )

As always, when in doubt, please contact your AG.

Regards,
Laura

[Compass]Laura McDowell
Director of Communications