[Wsssc] Opportunity: HS Transcript Taskforce

Matthew Campbell MCampbell at pierce.ctc.edu
Thu Nov 9 16:09:45 PST 2017

There is never a shortage of opportunities for members of the Washington State Student Services Commission! Please read below if you love transcripts, HS diplomas, course indicators, and finding new solutions to improve existing practices.

Please let me know if you are interested and available; and let Joe or me know if you have questions.

Thanks all,
Matt

Matthew Campbell, Ed.D.
Vice President, Learning & Student Success
Pierce College Puyallup
p/  253.840.8419<tel:253.840.8419>
f/   253.840.8423<tel:253.840.8423>
e/  mcampbell at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:mcampbell at pierce.ctc.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01D21A5A.C3B0D310]

Begin forwarded message:

The Challenge

Students earning their high school diploma through High School 21+ (HS 21+) experience difficulty obtaining admission to four-year universities in Washington.  The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) staff learned, though discussion with the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) and the Council of Presidents, that the lack of descriptive course titles and the absence of an indication of which courses, if any, meet College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs) affect college admissions.  WSAC also shared that while smaller public four-year universities are making inquiries, they believe larger public and private institutions are rejecting the applications without any consideration.

These practices reduce the value of the credential students earned at our colleges requiring them to overcome additional barriers to enter four-year universities, if they enter at all.

            Finding a Solution

SBCTC believes we must find a solution to this challenge and that a taskforce of system experts is the best way to create it.  We envision of small group of experts on this issue: two members from the Student Services Commission, two members from the Instruction Commission, two members from Admissions and Registration Council, and two members from the Council for Basic Skills.  Ruben Flores and Troy Goracke, SBCTC, will staff the taskforce.

The aim will be to craft remedies for the non-descriptive course titles and lack of CADRs identification on the transcripts, create recommendations for the system, and decide the best way to move those recommendation forward.  We anticipate meetings attended virtually and hope to conclude this process by the end of the program year.

This work is essential to ensuring students receive the full privilege and benefit of the credential our system assisted them to earn.