[Wsssc] Free speech and conduct codes

Cosby, Glen Glen.Cosby at scc.spokane.edu
Wed Aug 23 08:54:20 PDT 2017

Given the turmoil and tension in our nation, especially around issues of race and ethnicity, I am wondering if any of you are planning any special trainings for faculty in terms of managing potential flash points without leaving the institution vulnerable to litigation.  I am thinking of the dance we do to stay on the right side of the 1st Amendment while also providing a safe and welcoming learning environment for all students.  A faculty member today mentioned the scenario of a student who wears a Confederate flag T-shirt to class (or, more troubling, has a bumper sticker portraying an Armalite rifle with the words "Black Lives Matter" written beneath it, as I saw myself on a student vehicle this morning).  One the one hand, these are free speech acts.  On the other, they can and will be taken as attempts at intimidation and aggression by many.  So, wise colleagues, any thoughts on how to help our faculty and staff brace for the storm?

Glen A Cosby, Ph.D.
Vice President of Student Services
Spokane Community College
Spokane, Washington