[Wctcca] SB 5513 (Concerning mental health counseling at community and technical colleges)

Mao, Jenny Jenny.Mao at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Jan 25 16:56:11 PST 2023

Hello colleagues - Today I provided public testimony in support of SB 5513, expanding our MH pilot grant to additional community colleges. We have 24 hours to add and provide additional comments. This is informational as I am forwarding to copy and share below - drafted by Emiko from North Seattle College. Please share your comments on the link provided below.

---Copy and share----

SB 5513<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.leg.wa.gov%2Fbillsummary%3FBillNumber%3D5513%26Year%3D2023%26Initiative%3Dfalse&data=05%7C01%7C%7C2d678f5b1f0c48ae0ec608daff2c71f2%7C02d8ff38d7114e31a9156cb5cff788df%7C0%7C0%7C638102863695301896%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=LTXMecjBrSFcAnYbJf1Oa0u%2FT3w5sMmN4IrVDFW7AJY%3D&reserved=0> (Concerning mental health counseling at community and technical colleges) was scheduled for a public hearing in the Senate Committee on Higher Education and Workforce Development this morning. SBCTC Christine McMullin, Mental Health Counseling Services pilot Program Dr. Jenny Mao, and Jacob Katz SBCTC legislative intern provide live testimony. Testimony was pro on this bill, and we also acknowledge that any telehealth option that is pursued cannot be used to replace college-based mental health counseling and services options.

Knowing the timing is of the essence before written testimony closes after today's live statements, I've drafted a "PRO" response and have provided some areas you can add in personalized edits, including an alternative critical reflection on the NEW telehealth inclusion to the bill.
Please use it as your own template/edit as you see fit.
You can sign in and/or submit written testimony<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.leg.wa.gov%2Fcsi%2FSenate%3FcId%3D28242%26d%3D01%2F25%2F23%25208%3A00%2520AM%26aId%3D150179&data=05%7C01%7C%7C2d678f5b1f0c48ae0ec608daff2c71f2%7C02d8ff38d7114e31a9156cb5cff788df%7C0%7C0%7C638102863695301896%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=q6m2P51yzd02kU4KuCv%2FIvOV8SimrmS84Ki7CkiX7f4%3D&reserved=0> through tomorrow morning Thurs 1/26 9 am on SB-5513 funding for Mental Health Services.

For members of the MHCSP pilot under "Org representative line"
Mental Health Counseling a Services Pilot Program-Your College name

Copy-Paste and Edit as needed -5000 word limit
I'm submitting this written testimony to demonstrate unified support for equity, access, and accountability for mental health support to students in our Washington State Community and Technical Colleges. Continuing and expanding funding for mental health in higher education is essential. The population data shared by Dr. Jenny Mao's live testimony, and my own experiences working with my student population demonstrate attention to the holistic needs and well-being of our students' results in increased retention, completion, and reported coping. The data also reflects that mental health service and care at the WSCTC level is a barrier reducer for populations otherwise overlook, underserved, with higher impact rates, or barred from accessing service due to limitations and ecological factors in a public mental health crisis. [EDIT with personal impact /Remove , My work with students within the pilot program has allowed for tremendous expansion not only in who we can serve, but the manner in which we can connect and offer service. By changing the ways in which mental health is accessed at North we shift campus culture and improve the overall experience of the campus. This increases and possibility for students to access support without stigma.]

[EDIT/REMOVE BASED ON TELEHEALTH]Regarding the new section related to telehealth service- something I feel it is important to emphasize is that expansion of critical mental health services is necessary, We see the desire to ease the pinch of limited access to resources. But this is not something where quantity will ever be able to make up for the quality and complexity of an onsite faculty counselor. There is explicit and tremendous systems knowledge and navigation needed in order to support WSCTC students' mental health—telehealth offerings will continue to lack the ability to meet students where they are in terms of multi-systems case management interwoven into therapeutic offerings. Another consideration to take into account is the Union position and negotiation on an implementation of a telehealth system which will be a campus-by-campus and case-by-case situation as faculty counselors are a contractually protected position.

ME

Jenny Mao, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she|her|hers
Faculty Counselor | Licensed Psychologist
North Seattle College
9600 College Way North
Seattle WA 98103
(206)934-3676
https://northseattle.edu/counseling

*Recognize that e-mail is not a secure medium and confidentiality cannot be assured. This email is for the intended recipient only. If you received this email in error, please let me know and delete.

If you are experiencing a personal crisis, please call King County 24-hour Crisis Connections toll free at 1-866-427-4747 (866-4CRISIS) or the National Suicide Prevention Line at 1-800-273-8255. Text “HEAL” to 741741 Washington Listens: 1.833.681.0211

North Seattle College offers services in person, by email, Zoom, and phone. Find out how to connect with us virtually:  https://northseattle.edu/student-services-virtual-on-campus  NSC counselors are committed to providing high quality confidential counseling to currently enrolled NSC students. We are available to meet with students through a confidential tele-counseling platform.

Winter Quarter – Student Service Hours | In-person: Mon-Thurs: 9am-3pm  | Virtual Hours: Mon, Thurs, & Fri: 8:00am-4:30pm // Tue & Wed: 8:00am – 7pm