[Wctcca] Changes to this year's offerings

Devon Klein DKlein at greenriver.edu
Mon Oct 5 16:34:59 PDT 2020

Welcome back to fall quarter my esteemed colleagues!

What an unprecedented time we are serving our students in. At the most recent meeting of our steering committee almost everyone commented on the particular challenges that our careers are bringing us this year. As such, we believe that support and solidarity amongst our colleagues at sister institutions is more valuable now than ever. That is exactly what we are committed to providing in a virtual way this year.

Because we acknowledge that it is unlikely that we can know for sure that our usual conference can be held at the lovely Rainbow Lodge in time to adequately plan our usual slate of offerings: we will not be having our conference in the Spring of 2021. Although this is sad news, there is good news too.

What we will be offering instead is quarterly virtual meetings that will allow us to network, collaborate and tend to essential business. These meetings will be 90 minutes in length and people are welcome to come and go as needed. We will have both large group information sharing and small group discussions in break out rooms. Please mark your calendars now for November 20, 2020 from 10 to 11:30 for our fall quarterly meeting!

Since another key component of our offerings is CEU trainings, we will be reaching out to community partners to see if we can secure some great trainings to bring to you. We hope to have more to announce on this topic at our meeting on the 20th.

Last but not least, there are some steering committee positions becoming available at the end of this year. So I just want to plant the seed that this may be a great time to engage in some professional development by stepping into one of these roles, while the opportunity is available to shadow your predecessor. I can say that in my time serving on the steering committee, I have learned invaluable lessons both in my profession and in life lessons. Not only that, but we form great supportive relationships and have fun! I have seriously not laughed as much in any other zoom meeting.

It is truly my honor to serve our members through this unusual time. I am open to and welcome any additional input on what offerings you would like to see. I look forward to seeing your faces brady-bunch style next month.

In gratitude for your service,
Devon Klein, MA, LMHC

She/Her/Hers Pronouns

GRC Faculty Counselor

WCTCCA President

253-351-6673

 dklein at greenriver.edu

“Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open."          ~Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

Counseling Services Mission Statement

Counseling Services fosters student success and retention by teaching emotional coping techniques, informing and educating students on relevant health and wellness topics, and developing effective self-care skills for optimal lifelong psychological health.

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone at (253) 833-9111, ext. 4492, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk.