[Wactclc-primo] LibChat Widget in Primo

Elena Bianco Elena.Bianco at skagit.edu
Fri May 29 11:26:18 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone:

Lauren Bryant at Shoreline very kindly shared with me a link on the Developer's Network that talks about how to add the LibChat Slide widget to Primo<https://developers.exlibrisgroup.com/blog/embedding-springshare-libchat-widget-into-the-primo-nu/>. I remember Amy saying that there were some accessibility issues with it not working with screen readers, which is a concern, but just in case you are interested in adding it, here's how to do it. These are directions that I sent to Greg over at Lake Washington. Wade suggested I forward them to the list, so here you go...

  1.  Go to Discovery in Alma and choose Configure Views. Then, choose to Edit your view:

[cid:52ce9cf9-7e5f-444f-a92b-99bdfa12fdad]

2. Then, go to the last tab that's called Manage Customization Package, then click on Download Current View Customization Package.
[cid:d385f414-b4b9-4175-baea-be72280ce65a]
That will download a Zipped file. Save the Zipped file someplace and unzip it.

3. Then, go to the folder called js and open the custom.js folder using something like WordPad or Notepad (not WORD)

[cid:930afc4d-5802-4da7-a7c3-aec0b3194fa9]

Then, edit that file, putting this code in there right after the 'use strict';

(function () {

    "use strict";

    'use strict';

/*----------below is the code for libchat-----------*/

                // Adds the chat button

                (function() {

                                var lc = document.createElement('script'); lc.type = 'text/javascript'; lc.async = 'true';

                                lc.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') +

'v2.libanswers.com/load_chat.php?hash=bcda802129b1ee716f9f14a23b360d1b';

                                var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(lc, s);

                })();

Then, save your file, rezip the package and reload it using the Upload Customization package:

[cid:1472cb9e-9e99-4094-b7e7-f08d0cec6578]

Then, it should show up. One thing to note (my cautionary tale, 'cause you know that's what I'm all about): If you use a MAC, it will add some invisible files and Alma won't let you reload it. So, if at all possible use a PC. If you do have a Mac, Wade can help. He helped me.

We used the left-side widget and that seems to work pretty well because it still shows up when a record is linked to:

[cid:41d5884c-5971-4221-b8bc-5a8c1d44b910]

The only thing I don't like is that our service is called "Ask a Librarian" and it ends up being small text and I can't figure out how to make it bold, so I may have to change the text to "Ask Us!" so it's easier to read...

So, good luck with that, everyone. Super excited to have this service working in Primo.

Take care,

Elena

Elena Bianco

Systems & Technical Services Librarian

Skagit Valley College Library

2405 E. College Way

Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Stay connected and follow SVC libraries on Facebook or Instagram.