[Wactclc-primo] Setting up Unpaywall in Alma/Primo

Rowena McKernan rmckernan at whatcom.edu
Thu Feb 20 13:19:58 PST 2020

Thank you so much Amy!

Cheers,
~Ro
Extension:  x3954
Office:  HNR 201E

Follow: OER Whatcom News<https://compass.whatcom.edu/term/tags/oer>!

[Library Logo and Tagline RGB dpi199 depth24 300x79]<http://librarywp.whatcom.edu/databases/>

From: Wactclc-primo <wactclc-primo-bounces at lists.ctc.edu> On Behalf Of Herman, Amy
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 1:17 PM
To: WACTCLC Alma Discussion <wactclc-alma at lists.ctc.edu>; WACTCLC Primo discussions <wactclc-primo at lists.ctc.edu>
Subject: [Wactclc-primo] Setting up Unpaywall in Alma/Primo

FYI...

I successfully set up Unpaywall<https://unpaywall.org/> yesterday as a new General Electronic Service using these instructions.  It was very quick and easy. It shows up in the "Links" section of the record. https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Community_Knowledge/How_to_%E2%80%93_Add_an_Unpaywall_General_Electronic_Service_to_Alma%2C_for_Open_Access_links_in_Primo

However, if it is the ONLY way we have access to an article (not also available in one of our paid databases or in one of our activated open source collections) we are only seeing it if our "Expand My Results" filter is checked, unlike some of the other open access collections we have activated in the PCI.  I'm guessing that has to do with it not really being a "collection" that can be selected in the PCI, but rather a way of accessing open source content?  There has been some discussion about it on the listserv that I didn't fully understand.  If someone has been following the discussion and understands the issues, please chime in!

Some examples of it in action, in our Primo, are:

1.       When we also have it in a paid database collection (EBSCOhost Business Source Complete): "A national methodology to quantify the diet of grazing dairy cows" https://sbctc-olympic.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01STATEWA_OLYMPIC/18dmjvi/elsevier_sdoi_10_3168_jds_2017_13604

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D5E7F0.73187E50]

2.       When we do not have it in a paid database collection but do have it in another activated open source collection (Taylor & Francis Online - Journals - Open Access):  "Methane emissions are lower from reindeer fed lichens compared to concentrate feed" https://sbctc-olympic.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01STATEWA_OLYMPIC/18dmjvi/informaworld_s10_1080_17518369_2018_1505396

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D5E7F0.73187E50]

3.       When it is the only full text option, and can only be found by using the "Expand my Results" limiter: "Transnationalization of teacher education: A new paradigm for Ontario?" https://sbctc-olympic.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01STATEWA_OLYMPIC/18dmjvi/proquest2187608476

[cid:image008.jpg at 01D5E7F0.73187E50]

Amy Herman
Library Faculty | Olympic College
1600 Chester Avenue | Bremerton, WA 98337
aherman at olympic.edu<mailto:aherman at olympic.edu> | 360-475-7256