[Wactclc-primo] Call for Volunteers - Open Access Database Review - Summer 2019 Project

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Tue May 14 12:31:33 PDT 2019

Dear WACTCLC,

Last summer the LWTech Librarians (Greg Bem and Sue Wozniak), with the support of a small group of other Washington State Community and Technical College (WACTC) librarians, ran an open access database evaluation project to assess the value of open access databases to community college users, as well as identify those we found worthy to advertise to our student populations. We are sharing the results of that project here (attached), as well as seeking volunteer help for our next phase of the evaluation, taking place this summer. The databases we chose to advertise to our population, based on this analysis, is attached to this email.

>From our project analysis we discovered that the criteria used to evaluate databases were too many and often too vague, though there was overall appreciation for doing the evaluation and identifying good open sources of research for our students. We have reformulated the continuation of the project for this summer using fewer and more concrete criteria, which can be seen in the 2019 OA Database Evaluation Worksheet<https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2F1hT5m5S3rd4RyAp7JRAChGSKBJW8wiuPk8QvI5E6jmCQ%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&data=01%7C01%7Ccagruwell%40stcloudstate.edu%7C27d089af829c43012a6d08d6d7f7ab16%7C5e40e2ed600b4eeaa9851d0c9dcca629%7C0&sdata=JcgBnCyFpS4QgoAnL7nKn9qFKJJw%2FLutELbAn6Z6sbU%3D&reserved=0>. This year we are also looking to potentially expand our perspective beyond the state of Washington and community and technical colleges.

We would like to invite you or your team members to continue with our project, if you participated in the past, or join our team and continue the review this summer (Mid-June to Mid-September). With discrete criteria to review, we hope to have more time to share insights and reflect on how these resources might serve our respective populations. The project schedule will include an initial meeting mid-June as a project introduction, discussion of criteria, and divvying up databases to review. We will have two more meetings to check in and debrief. We will also check in by email biweekly and be available for questions and troubleshooting throughout the project.

Please email us with questions or if interested in joining our research team.

Sue Wozniak sue.wozniak at lwtech.edu<mailto:sue.wozniak at lwtech.edu>
Greg Bem greg.bem at lwtech.edu<mailto:greg.bem at lwtech.edu>

Greg Bem, MLIS
Professor and Library Coordinator