[Wactclc-primo] [External] [ALMA-L] Ex Libris – HTTP Security Update

Kun, Lily lkun at spscc.edu
Mon Oct 30 11:45:58 PDT 2017

Amy,

I'm not sure where you're getting the security warning, but this reminds me of a problem that I used to have.

If you're getting a security warning in Chrome or Firefox, it's probably because you're going from a secured site (https) to an unsecured site (http). When my college switched to a secured site (http to https), I kept on getting error messages whenever I used the Primo deep search box embedded in my library webpage because the Primo URL was still using an unsecured site (http). Easiest way to fix the problem I described is to make sure that your origination site and the destination site are either both secured sites (https) or both non-secured sites (http). Also, you can usually go from a non-secured site to a secured site with no problems at all, but if you go the other way, you'll get a security warning.

Hope this helps.

Lily Kun
Systems and Electronic Resources Librarian

 [cid:image001.jpg at 01CF17A6.5DF28AA0]
https://spscc.edu/library
lkun at spscc.edu<mailto:lkun at spscc.edu>
360-596-5436

?Amy,

If you're getting security warnings when clicking through EZProxy, then there isnt  really an issue related to Ex Libris configuration going on here.

In fact, I don't see any of our ExL products impacted by this change in Chrome, except the PBO, which does currently uses http instead of https:

Sounds like you're just experiencing an EZProxy security certificate issue of some kind

For best results these days, you really need to use a 'wildcard' SSL certificate for ezproxy, which I'm sure Adam will understand.

Could you post more specific info on how you generate the error you're seeing? And ideally a screenshot as well? I might be able to tell you more from that.

Wade Guidry - wadeg at bigbend.edu<mailto:wadeg at bigbend.edu>
Library Consortium Services Manager
Washington Community & Technical Colleges Library Consortium (WACTCLC)