[Wactclc-primo] issue with Author display in Primo

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Fri Nov 3 10:45:04 PDT 2017

Yes, the displayed author name is constructed via normalization rules.

See the creator and contributor entries in the “Display” section of MARC normalization documentation here for a sense of what is going on:

https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Product_Documentation/Technical_Guide/160Mapping_to_the_Normalized_Record/010Generic_MARC_21#Display_Section

Author names are tricky, because depending on the source of the metadata (local cataloging, worldcat, CZ), cataloging practices vary.

So, getting author names to display equivalently across multiple data sources is a real challenge.

And, depending on how much it impacts student outcomes, may or may not be worth thinking about too much.

I do recall the normalization rules working group at the Alliance (https://www.orbiscascade.org/discovery-delivery-wg-norm-rules ) spending lots of time talking about comma placement in author names. Though, I can’t quickly find a public link to any outcomes from those conversations.

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Wade Guidry
Library Consortium Services Manager
Big Bend Community College

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Big Bend Community College • 7662 Chanute Street NE • Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

WACTCLC Alma Instance: Alma NA02<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>
WACTCLC Primo Instance: Primo NA08<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>