[Wactclc-alma] FW: Introducing MetaDoor -from Ex Libris/ProQuest

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:02:43 PST 2022

I  was wondering about how SkyRiver might be playing into this myself, and whether ProQuest might be making any plans for Ex Libris to ingest SkyRiver bib records into the Alma Community Zone.

FWIW, SkyRiver was, in some ways, a vanity project (IMHO) of III founder and owner Jerry Kline.

I got the impression from discussions at annual III Users Group conferences during this time that Kline created SkyRiver specifically to have legal standing to sue OCLC, possibly because he saw OCLC's development of their own ILS platforms (WorldCat Local & WorldCat Navigator) as a threat to his III Millennium and INNReach products.

Back in 2008(?), OCLC issued some kind of policy placing use restrictions, not just on the WorldCat database as an entity, but on all the individual records within the database.  IIRC, this was in response to the development of tools using the ISO Z39.50 standard that allowed sharing and harvesting of bib records from individual library OPACs. OCLC executives saw this as a threat to the company.

The cataloging world immediately rose up en masse against this, with many pointing out that records created by the libraries of any federal agencies were automatically public domain works under federal copyright law and therefore OCLC couldn’t claim ownership and place use restrictions on those records. Other libraries pointed out that since they had created individual records, not OCLC staff, they owned any copyrights on the intellectual work and they had certainly never agreed to waive those rights with their OCLC membership.

The OCLC execs walked back the original policy in the face of the huge outcry. They still ended up with a policy that kept most of the records walled off from use by outside entities.  See this blog post from MARCEdit creator, Terry Reese:
https://blog.reeset.net/archives/827

It was around this time that SkyRiver filed their lawsuit against OCLC.

III owner Jerry Kline launched Skyriver in Oct. 2009 and filed the antitrust lawsuit against OCLC less than a year later. Three years later, the owner sold his interest in both companies to a private equity firm, at which point III absorbed Skyriver and dropped the lawsuit.

To me this lends credence to claims that SkyRiver was never truly intended as an alternative to OCLC's WorldCat database and was just a tool for trying to damage a competitor. There was also some evidence that SkyRiver had built up their database by harvesting records directly from different libraries with z39.50-compliant OPACs (without their knowledge or consent) and stripping out any OCLC control numbers.

That said, one of the things I've seen from Ex Libris since the beginning is an emphasis building systems that follow open data standards, and on making it possible to get data into and out of the system.  Ex Libris was one of the first vendors (if not the first) to publish online documentation on publicly-accessible websites instead of requiring password access for paid customers only.

Given some of the Open Data and Open Access standards work that Ex Libris participates in, I have every reason to believe that they genuinely do support Open Data sharing and see MetaDoor as a tool for that (with the added benefit for them of driving more customers to the Alma-Primo platform).

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges