[Wactclc-alma] [EXTERNAL*]- off-topic: tenure file

Elena Bianco Elena.Bianco at skagit.edu
Mon Mar 7 12:34:02 PST 2022

Hi Abby:

My situation may be different than yours, but at Skagit because this position is a tenured faculty position, it has always had a teaching component (even if that's just to be scheduled at Reference). There's two reasons why: 1. It's good for the systems librarian to interact with students and see first-hand how they are using the system. The other concern is that without a teaching component it would be an excuse for administration to convert a tenured-faculty position to a professional exempt position, with all that implies.

  But, if you don't teach at Reference and you don't teach classes, I suppose you still teach staff and other faculty how to use library systems? If you are designing student-facing interfaces or creating online tutorials, that might count in the teaching arena, as well.

Feel free to contact me off-list to discuss more if you'd like...

Elena

Elena Bianco, Systems & Technical Services Librarian
(360)416-7624