[LIBRARYDIR] Questions about technology for students

Bruce Hattendorf BHattendorf at pencol.edu
Fri Dec 16 16:59:43 PST 2022

Our computer lab is in our library. We're small. We have 24 computers in the main library space for student use, plus a cart of 12 laptops that students can check out for use in the library study rooms. We often get 20 to 30 students per day using them.

So far our laptop loaning has been happening through different departments who have different pots of money. There's a form that student services created where students can put in a laptop request and the college determines if the student qualifies for any of the laptops that are available through the different funding streams. That system has not been particularly student friendly or equitable. We're in discussions with IT and the different departments that have laptops about how to make them all available through the library so that there's a central hub for the loans and we have a supply of loaner laptops that are available to all students, regardless of the program. We're still working on the details, as some areas want to maintain control of their own laptops and there doesn't appear to be a budget yet for general loaners. It's been a big discussion this quarter.

Happy Friday and happy holidays!
Bruce

Bruce J. Hattendorf, PhD (he/him/his)
Dean, Center for Equity, Teaching and Learning (CETL)
Peninsula College
(360) 417-6238
bhattendorf at pencol.edu