[LIBRARYDIR] Questions about technology for students

Dawn Marie Lowe-Wincentsen dawn.lowe.win at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:07:51 PST 2022

Hello Lindsay,
1, Yes. There is a very large computer (50+ computers) lab in the basement
of the library run by technology services with computers funded through the
student technology fee and student government. I occasionally see one or
two people there. However, the library main floor has 20 computers and most
of them are usually in use. There are other computer labs on campus that
have specialized software by department need (ex. manufacturing has
computer lab with Solidworks) . These are used to some capacity as students
need the specialized software.
2. Yes. The second part is complicated. In the before times laptops were
purchased by elearning to support online students. There were other
specialized programs that would purchase laptops for their populations and
the library would facilitate the check out (ESL). During covid HEREF money
was used to purchase hundreds of cheap chrome books. In all right now we
have over 600 laptops in circulation. Going forward, last year we
received funds from student government to buy laptops for classroom
circulation. Student government said to also make them available for
regular check out if the classroom is not being used as much as we
anticipated. This is one venue to fund post covid laptops. going back to
elearrning is another way to fund post covid laptops. Where I was before
Shoreline, I portioned a part of the library book budget for laptops and
replacement. I suspect there is no way for the college to replace all 600
devices on a sustainable cycle, and eventually we will even out based on
need.
3. Not at Shoreline

*Dawn Lowe-Wincentsen, MLIS*

She/ Her
Acting Executive Director of Learning Resources

Dlowe-wincentsen at shoreline.edu

*Shoreline Community College*
www.shoreline.edu  |  206.546.4101