[LIBRARYDIR] Replacement fees?

Bruce Hattendorf BHattendorf at pencol.edu
Mon Aug 15 14:48:24 PDT 2022

We don’t handle laptop checkouts through the library. During the pandemic that was handled by IT. I don’t think they did fines.

This past year, our Transitional Studies Program (BEDA) has taken an interesting approach. Might not work as a college-wide approach, but they’ve had some success with their students.

They wrote some grants to get money to buy laptops and set up a program to give students laptops for completing either their high school equivalency or 45 credits. They give the students the laptops when they start the program. They tell the students the computers are theirs to keep if they complete the program and that if something comes up and they can’t complete, they can return the laptops to give other students the opportunity. They’re not using a check out system or fines. According to the director of the program, they’ve handed out 42 laptops so far. Seven students completed and all but one student returned the following quarter. So far, when issues have come up for students, they have returned the laptops.

Of course, it’s taken local grant money to do that (in this case, from United Way and the First Federal Foundation).

Bruce

Bruce J. Hattendorf, PhD (he/him/his)
Dean, Center for Equity, Teaching and Learning (CETL)
Peninsula College
(360) 417-6238
bhattendorf at pencol.edu