[LIBRARYDIR] SBCTC awarded $1.8 M for Open ProfTech project from U.S. DOE

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:33:48 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to share some good news. SBCTC’s Open ProfTech project has been awarded supplemental funding under the FY 2022 Open Textbook Pilot Program grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE<http://www.ed.gov/FIPSE/>), U.S. Department of Education. The project received a supplemental grant of $1.1M in addition to the 700k received last year, bringing the total grant amount to $1.8M.

The Washington Open Proftech project is designed to develop a set of open textbooks for the most in-demand professional technical programs. With the initial grant, the project has been authoring three open textbooks: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Health Care, and Intro to Welding. With this supplemental funding, SBCTC will be developing four additional open textbooks in the field of professional technical education.

SBCTC will announce a call for faculty participation in the first week of October. We will be looking for faculty members with deep knowledge in their field and experience developing curricular materials to join the faculty cohorts which will collectively author these new open textbooks.

Finally, I am pleased to announce that Monique Belair will continue to serve as the Project Manager for the upcoming development. Monique has been managing the Washington Open ProfTech project from the beginning with outstanding commitment and leadership. I am also happy to inform you that Sally Zeiger Hanson, who partnered with me in writing the original proposal, has agreed to continue to serve as a consultant for the project. As the Project Director of this program, I am thrilled to continue to team up with both.

Please feel free to reach out to me or Monique Belair (mbelair at sbctc.edu) if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you and your faculty on this exciting new project.

Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.

Pronouns: she, her, hers

Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education

Openwa.org<http://www.openwa.org/> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>

bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549