[LIBRARYDIR] Weeding and RCWs Redux

Heath Hayden heath.hayden at bellevuecollege.edu
Tue Apr 19 11:46:39 PDT 2022

Hello:

I have scoured the LLC archives for information about weeding materials from our collections and complying with RCWs about offering those materials to the school district via posted announcements in local newspapers. In the past (before we realized the directives of the RCW) we were sending our weeded books and materials to state surplus.

One of our staff made a very good point about the RCW citing libraries, but not clarifying if this applies to public and school libraries only. Would academic/higher ed libraries be included in this? It seems odd to place an ad in our school district for area schools to take our weeded materials as they will be (a) at a higher level and (b) possibly outdated and irrelevant.

We have someone working on our weeding policy and I think this point is an excellent one. Curious what others think.

Thank you!

Heath Ray Hayden, MLIS, MA
Pronouns: they/them/their
Associate Dean of Library