[LIBRARYDIR] Chegg and plagiarism

Heath Hayden heath.hayden at bellevuecollege.edu
Wed Jan 27 08:39:47 PST 2021

Hello:

I am having a second meeting today with our Science division faculty who have been raising concerns about Chegg and students using it to (a) post mathematical/scientific problems/tests/quizzes/homework and/or (b) find answers posted by prior students.

Our faculty are understandably in distress about this and have spoken with the librarians in spring 2019. Our suggestions at the time: come up with other means to have students explain the answer to you (or how they arrived at that answer, process), work with faculty professional development group and/or administration to put together some sessions to talk about this and raise awareness.

The Science faculty feel CHEGG is violating copyright, due to it being their work and content being posted to a publicly accessible site (site does require a login).

Are any other campuses dealing with this issue? The primary concerns here are that their problem sets/content is getting out there and published and that students are cheating. They can’t keep pace with coming up with new problems/content every quarter. I was able to find a copyright infringement form<https://www.chegg.com/a/p/copyright/chipro-form.pdf>, but asking the library directors if there are other avenues to explore. We can ramp up plagiarism instruction with those classes and we can seek out PD opportunities to raise awareness, but are there other options?

Thanks, all!

Heath Ray Hayden, MLIS, MA
Pronouns: they/them/their
Interim Dean, Library & eLearning