[LIBRARYDIR] [EXTERNAL] - LibGuides CMS

Coe, Erica ecoe at olympic.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:35:35 PDT 2020

We just set up a trial for CMS and are planning to purchase.  Here are some notes from one of my librarians who has been most involved.
*        We were able to set up multiple side-nav templates (HTML knowledge required).  Once these are set up, no coding is required for users to access templates.
*        We are excited about the LTI for Canvas.  Faculty can directly embed LibGuides into their Canvas courses.  This allows us to update the LibGuides on our end without having to require the faculty to update files or links in their courses. We're contemplating making a LibGuide version of our Library Instruction Canvas Modules to have an easier way for Faculty to always have up-to-date videos and information without needing to re-import updated modules from the commons.
*        With CMS you can create groups and have a different header for each group.  This would be very functional if you have several areas using the LibGuides like the Library, the Writing Center/Tutoring, or The Center for Teaching and Learning, and they can each have their own look and feel (HTML and CSS required for this). These can be as simple or complicated as you want them to be. Once you have these set up, no coding is required for users.
I understand the concepts of HTML and CSS, it had been years since I had done any coding, and with a little research and figuring it out, I was able to make the needed modifications fairly easily.
There are some other functionality differences between LibGuides and LibGuides CMS<https://buzz.springshare.com/producthighlights/whylgcms/compare>, like larger file size for file uploads, discussion boards, forms/surveys, advanced analytics, a sandbox, restricted use pages--like an intranet for staff, but we haven't ventured there...Yet! So many more possibilities.

Hope this help!
Erica