[LIBRARYDIR] Changes to Kanopy licensing terms and their impact on the WACTCLC membership

Lesley Caldwell LCaldwell at pierce.ctc.edu
Fri Aug 7 09:39:10 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I know I am late to this conversation in that this email is from a month ago, and you all discussed Kanopy at the LLC meeting this week. However, I wanted to share our latest email from Nicole. Hopefully this aligns with what others are hearing about Kanopy:

“WACTCLC can continue with the PPU model through FY 2020-2021. Any colleges currently on that model can continue with that model. But because we are no longer upgrading licenses to a one year license (not perpetual although we are offering those licenses come Sept 1st) once you hit the $120 mark in use, I am not recommending this model to your sister colleges. Also, there are limitations with firm ordering and other functions that are only available on the academic model.”

So the gist seems to be we can keep the PPU model this year, but they are not recommending it moving forward. One of the reasons for that is that previously once a popular film (ex: “Race – The Power of Illusion”) hit 60 plays or $120, we owned it for that year. Now there will be no cap, so with our example film, we have 399 plays. That would cost us $798 annually instead of $120. At least this is my understanding.

Please let me know if you interpret that message differently.

Thanks so much!
Lesley

Lesley Caldwell

Systems and Instruction Librarian

Pierce College

p:

253-840-8420

a:

1601 39th Ave SE, Puyallup, WA 98374

w:

www.pierce.ctc.edu<http://www.pierce.ctc.edu> e: LCaldwell at pierce.ctc.edu

[pierce college logo]

TOP 5 Community College in the Nation

[aspen prize for community college excellence rising star 2019 logo and achieving the dream leader college of distinction logo]