[LIBRARYDIR] Zoom, FERPA, Privacy

Mark Jenkins mjenkins at sbctc.edu
Wed Apr 15 08:39:53 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone

We had a question regarding any possible requirement for getting consent for recording students likenesses and/or profile images in Zoom. We took the question to SBCTC's AAG for guidance; we received some excellent and detailed advice about how to think about the status of Zoom recordings for meetings and classes. I've attached the AAG's letter and a recent presentation deck from a Department of Education webinar on student privacy.  This information has also been shared with IC, WSSC, and the other commissions.

Most of this is as we've understood in the past - consent is not necessary for sharing recordings within course sections insofar as the students' likenesses are incidental to the presentation and not focused on a particular student. Recordings incorporating likenesses and other directory information should not be shared across sections or terms.

Dave Stolier has asked that if you have questions about the AAG's interpretations, please ask them of your colleges' specific AAG. This letter has been shared with the state's education AAGs and they're all able to address issues and questions that arise as a result of this guidance.

Mark

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]
Mark Jenkins
Director, Educational Technology & Open Education
mjenkins at sbctc.edu<mailto:mjenkins at sbctc.edu> * office: 360-704-4363  cell: 503-891-3515

COVID-19 REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-success-center/remote-learning-resources.aspx>