[LIBRARYDIR] Quick question about gate counts

Jacquelyn Ray jacquelyn.ray at wwcc.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:14:57 PST 2019

It’s  always hard to say, the cost/benefit ratio of security vs. design.  Our security needs here didn’t require a gate but other schools might be in a different situation.  Our mega-pricey items—like laptops—are checked out within the system and students also sign a borrowing agreement/contract modeled after the fantastic one developed by Lower Columbia so that seems to be enough to work for us.

Ha, I forgot about our detailed space terminology.  We have a rather large dragon art piece that defines a particular space.  It actually ended up being a surprising space design experience.  We had a bank of study carrels that were never used, were ugly and I had planned on pitching in hopes of getting some different furniture at some point.   One of the furniture movers was an alumni and we walked in one morning to see the study carrels re-arranged.  The alumni/mover was here at the time and said that’s just how he remembered them being positioned when he was a student and he sat there all the time!   Staff still wanted to get rid of these, and I did get rid of half of them but kept the “new” design.  And, surprise!  These have been used all term!

It'll be great to have an LLC meeting in Everett when your  new building is up!

Jackie

Jacquelyn Ray, MLIS, MA|Library Director<http://www.wwcc.edu/library>
Walla Walla Community College<http://www.wwcc.edu/>
500 Tausick Way|Walla Walla, WA 99362