[LIBRARYDIR] ProQuest Video Platform

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:03:27 PDT 2019

Hey all,

I was just emailed by our ProQuest rep about Academic Video Online (AVON)<https://alexanderstreet.com/products/academic-video-online>, their online video service. There was a recent ALA thread about how some folks are using it over other platforms, like Kanopy, so LWTech will take a look and probably start a free trial in the near future.

Anyway, I asked the rep if there had been chats about system-wide bargaining and that isn't the case, but if there were 5-10 interested CTCs, a mini buying club deal could be entertained. So my question for this thread is, who is considering this product and has yet to start a subscription? For the system as a whole, what are your thoughts on the "mini buying club deal" as a concept-is it a worthwhile approach to databases? I will say that group purchasing came up during the recent Technical College Libraries Meeting last quarter as something various librarians would like to investigate.

And another question: for those of you already using AVON, how is it?

Greg

Greg Bem, MLIS
Professor and Library Coordinator
Library Learning Commons
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
Pronouns: he/him/his

Contact Info
greg.bem at lwtech.edu<mailto:greg.bem at lwtech.edu%0d>
425-739-8100 xt.8898
http://www.lwtech.edu/campus-life/library

2019-2020 Vice President of Local 3533, LWTech's Faculty Union!