[LIBRARYDIR] [Clams-l] Calling All Coordinators of OER/Low-Cost Labeling work

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:09:12 PST 2019

Awesome questions, Mindy! I will do my best to address them.

  *   The major responsibility of the participant of this group, as specified in the initial email, would be communicating with SBCTC with questions and comments. I understand that there could be multiple folks leading/supporting college-wide implementation of OER/Low-Cost Labeling. I would welcome anyone who is involved in campus implementation at any capacity, as long as the person has a willingness/capacity to work as a liaison between college and SBCTC. For that reason, multiple folks signing up from one college is acceptable and welcome. For instance, from TCC, 4 folks with different positions signed up as they work as a team and all wanted to be part of a direct conversation.
  *   Opt-in or out? OER/Low-Cost labeling policy is a mechanism that was developed to support our colleges to be in compliance of State Law that passed in 2017 (HB 1375). Colleges are required to inform students which courses use OER at the time of registration no later than a quarter after the college moves to ctcLink. This law has a clear funding/reporting structure built into it and SBCTC is tasked to monitor the progress and submit a legislative report every year. At this point, the question is how to implement this, not whether to opt in or out.
  *   Feeling overwhelmed? I understand it could feel daunting even if the policy was created with the inputs from faculty members and administrators (multiple rounds of statewide surveys were conducted for the past 3 years. See a full list of the study reports<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FDMutJccGdEZ1mtB-4eoAbvCmkS7t-tvqGoBrAIopO0/edit#bookmark=id.30106m5yu6if>). This is a fully established guideline with specific examples, resources, and best practices (See tinyurl.com/openwa-label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>).
  *   Still feeling unprepared? This labeling requirement is only for colleges who have deployed ctcLink. Most of our system colleges have had or will have over 2 years to prep for the implementation. For example Skagit will have at least 2 years until the implementation, being part of the ctcLink deployment Group 5 (See ctcLink Deployment Schedule<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/it-support/ctclink/deployment-groups.aspx>).
  *   Concerned that courses not labeled will be perceived as expensive? These labels appear in the student class search page as one of many course attributes (such as time, date, availability, location, format, delivery, funding model, etc.) This is one of many conditions students will use, albeit an important one, to make more informed choices. Interestingly, I've received feedback from several faculty members at ctcLink colleges that the policy has provided leverage in renegotiating with publishers to bring the cost of materials within the low cost threshold.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)

[sbctc logo]Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.
Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education
Openwa.org<openwa.org> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>
bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549
Texts Welcome!