[LIBRARYDIR] Primo Central Index (PCI) Open Access Database Review Project Year 3: Summary and Data

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Mon Aug 26 08:53:43 PDT 2019

Greetings Library Directors,

The third summer of the voluntary initiative to review the OA databases available in the PCI has been completed.

The full summary report, with many details and findings, can be viewed in a Google Doc here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DSshX0IatZdiI9cyOC-66TbVxBrd-GRA8MG4RKlvHfk/edit?usp=sharing>. A link to the data is at the very end of the document. Here is the summary of the summary, which opens the report:

>From May to August, 2019, Greg Bem and Sue Wozniak developed and coordinated "Year Three" of the Open Access (OA) Primo Central Index (PCI) review project. In sum, the project aims to investigate the "OA"-classed database collections available via Ex Libris's PCI, to be displayed in the Primo discovery layer. The reason for this review has its history in equity: libraries struggling with small budgets have sought after high quality and truly open collections to supplement those few proprietary subscriptions they can afford. Early on (pre-"Year One") in this project, librarians Greg Bem and Kate Magner discovered the lack of metadata in the PCI limited what most librarians working within Alma/Primo and the PCI could know about each of the activatable collections; thus, the impetus to conduct a review and share the evaluative data could enhance libraries with limited librarian resources. The project has slowly evolved since the initial review.

As noted in the report, some of the volunteers from the summer work have expressed their interest in continuing on this project before Summer 2020. And so we will. The group remains open to new volunteers should you or anyone you know be interested in helping out! We aren't quite sure what the first of the next steps will be, but the group will convene in Fall to figure it out.

All the best,

Greg

Greg Bem, MLIS
Professor and Library Coordinator