[LIBRARYDIR] How do you select Magazines

Ventura, Gerie GVENTURA at highline.edu
Tue Oct 30 13:18:27 PDT 2018

Dear Cheyenne: Here's some detail from our collection development lead:

In reviewing our materials budge in 2013, we noticed that we were spending over $20,000  for about 170 print periodicals that were getting increasingly infrequent use.  We thought this money could be better spend on adding full-text databases or print books to our collection.  So we did a major periodicals review and cut 70 print subscriptions.  Now, five years later, we have about 95 current print periodicals subscriptions and will be implementing another review in this or next year.  Over the past five years we have added a few titles to add diversity to our popular periodicals reading display.  We have also cancelled a few and had others cease print publication.

In reviewing our print titles, we first identified a core group that we knew we wanted to keep.  These included titles like National Geographic, Economist, Consumer Reports, Scientific American, Ebony, etc.  We then identified the titles we needed to keep for program accreditation purposes, such as keeping Paralegal Today for the Legal Department.  We identified what periodicals were be routed to faculty/staff.  And then we took the remaining list and reviewed usage statistics, availability in our full-text periodical databases, and of course, cost.  Based on all this information, we created a preliminary list of what we thought we could cut.  For subject specific periodicals, such as those in Nursing, we consulted the appropriate faculty for their input.  And then we did our cancellation.

What we found out was that hardly anyone outside the library staff noticed the cuts, which reinforced the idea of the diminishing interest in print periodicals.  As time goes on this diminishing interest will very probably continue as students/faculty/staff grow increasingly reliant and used to full-text databases.  And so we will fairly soon conduct another review since our library materials budget is not increasing and we need better allocate what funds we have.

Jack Harton
Highline College Library