[LIBRARYDIR] Articles on library value

Samantha Hines SHines at pencol.edu
Wed Jan 3 09:54:39 PST 2018

There's a definite value judgment present in Zoe's blog post about using analytics that's been well-discussed in critical librarianship. I just read yesterday Karen Nicholson's keynote from the Canadian Libraries Assessment Workshop that was referenced by Zoe (https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/fimspres/49/) that outlined a lot of the concerns in a really readable way. Much of it has to do with student privacy (as I think was clear in the pieces Zoe referenced) and also how an overemphasis on data can lead to focusing on the wrong things in academia, i.e., an overreliance on doing that which can be easily measured and treating education like a business rather than a learning endeavor, which was more Karen's focus in her keynote.

I (and probably all of you), as a library director at a community college, can't reject metrics, but I can be cautious and deliberate about what data we collect, why and how we collect it, and what we do with it. Aryana, your statement about viewing it as a teaching effort is in my opinion the best way to consider it.

My thoughts,
Sam
---
Samantha Schmehl Hines
Associate Dean for Instructional Resources and Library Director
Peninsula College
1502 E Lauridsen Blvd
Port Angeles, WA 98362
(360) 417-6275 | shines at pencol.edu