[LIBRARYDIR] FW: Update on $5M Open Textbook Pilot & Call for Reviewers

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Fri Aug 10 17:13:57 PDT 2018

FYI.

From: cccoer-advisory at googlegroups.com <cccoer-advisory at googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Nicole Allen
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:43 AM
To: SPARC Libraries & OER Forum <liboer at sparcopen.org>; OER Comms <oer-comms at googlegroups.com>; CCCOER Advisory <cccoer-advisory at googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Update on $5M Open Textbook Pilot & Call for Reviewers

Hi everyone,

Following up with a few updates on the grant program:

Our allies in the Senate have just sent an oversight letter<https://sparcopen.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20180802-FY18-Congress-Oversight-Letter.pdf> to the Department addressing some of our concerns in the call for proposals. While it is not possible to change the parts of the notice that we are unhappy about (the 30 day window, the limit to 3 grants, the emphasis on creation), it is possible to ask for clarity and push for better practices within the bounds of the notice. Specifically, the letter urges the Department to award the maximum number of grants (3), to ensure OER experts are well represented on the review panel, and to clarify that both "technology-based strategies" integrated with open textbooks and the open textbooks themselves will be subject to the same licensing rules.

Since Congress is pushing to have OER represented on the review panel, it is critically important that OER community members apply<https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/call-peer-reviewers-open-textbooks-pilot-program-deadline-8618> as peer reviewers by Monday August 6th. We need to make sure they have a large pool to draw from. If you are not applying for a grant, we strongly encourage you to send in your resume before COB Monday. Details here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/call-peer-reviewers-open-textbooks-pilot-program-deadline-8618

It is also important to continue sending in any questions you have to the Department<https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2018-16264/p-8>, which will help push them to issue a formal FAQ which may address some of the issues referenced by Congress.

Finally, I want to acknowledge the discussion on this thread. It's the nature of this kind of work that the policies we want aren't always the policies we get, and sometimes all we can do is make the most of it. The good news is that we have amazing allies in Congress, and will have the opportunity to provide more specific guidance if we succeed in renewing funding for future years. No matter what happens this year, this is a foot in the door, and we'll keep pushing!

Cheers,
Nicole

Nicole Starr Allen
SPARC<http://www.sparcopen.org/> | Director of Open Education