[LIBRARYDIR] Request for information about plagiarism detection software products, especially Turnitin

Waite, Amy AWaite at clark.edu
Wed Oct 4 18:31:51 PDT 2017

Hello,

The interim dean at Clark College has been asked about Turnitin.com plagiarism software.  I did some research in the LLC wiki archives and found that the last discussion of this at the LLC was in Spring 2014.  At that time the System Wide eLearning Initiatives WG reported that:

o   new plagiarism detection tool (Turnitin) Too expensive for many schools to pursue (even with bulk consortium purchase). It is a divisive issue on other campuses. Our recommendation is that each school pursue Turnitin independently as desired.
Our college has asked that we survey others in our system to see if any comparable institutions are using Turnitin and/or have opinions to share about deciding not using it.  Additionally, we are interested if there has been any change in the decision not to pursue a system-wide optional contract for this product or any other plagiarism protection/inspection product.  Do any of you have updated information about that?

If any of your institutions have continued, added or decided not to add Turnitin (or any other anti-plagiarism software) since 2014, would you please let me know?  A brief explanatory comment would be appreciated as well.  Also, please tell me if you or your institution wants to remain anonymous--in case there is interest in contacting you individually for additional information.

Thanks,
Amy Waite

Amy Waite
Access Services Manager