[LIBRARYDIR] gift subscription ethics

Vivienne Mcclendon vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu
Thu Mar 2 22:21:44 PST 2017

Hi Stacy,

My inclination would be to explain the copyright implications of such a gift. For the short term, the faculty member might consider having selected articles available via reserves. This would give you a chance to talk about the curricular implications - ie. what's the purpose for the instruction/students? If there's a real connection and ongoing need, the title obviously needs to be considered for inclusion within a database or other electronic subscription where it is fully available 24/7, of course.

You might explain that the trend is to make things available online for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is indexing for discovery? Many faculty just haven't thought through the long term implications of a) access, b) cataloging, c) storage, d) copyright infringement, etc... Maybe you can give him/her a brief tour of what you have in paper and explain the implications for library workflow and student access? Your use statistics of paper subscriptions might be revealing as well.

Hope this gives you a few angles for discussion,

Vivienne

Dr. Vivienne McClendon
Dean, Library Media Center
Bellevue College  |  425-564-3056<tel:425-564-3056>  | vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu<http://vivienne.mcclendon@bellevuecollege.edu>