[LIBRARYDIR] Tutoring Centers, Writing Centers, Math Labs, Speech Labs

Tammy Siebenberg tsiebenberg at yvcc.edu
Thu Sep 10 18:23:42 PDT 2015

At Yakima Valley the Tutoring Center is on the second floor of the building that houses the library but it is under the direction of Student Support Services.  It houses a few computers, study area, group study rooms, and MESA.  Sometimes tutors work with students at the tables in the library; we don't deal with them unless they get too loud.

Also on the second floor, under my direction, are the Media Center, six group study rooms, and the library's hands-on computer classroom.  One of the group study rooms will soon become an office for the instructional design person, who works for Technical Services.  He will have access to our classroom but will work around the library's teaching schedule.  I and the reference librarians control scheduling of the room.

Technical Services is adding about 26 more computers to the library, bringing our total to about 80, as well as 3 more printers and will staff an IT helpdesk in the library during all of our open hours.  The intent is to bring students to the library in the center of campus and to make library and technical services more accessible.  The move will help to replace the open computer lab that is located in another building on the north side of campus and free it up for classes and testing.  I believe another computer lab is being re-opened on the south side of campus.

The Math Center and Writing Center are located in the building that houses most of the English and Math faculty and is under the direction of Arts & Sciences.  The last few quarters the Writing Center has had satellite locations around campus including an hour or two in the library each week.  The Speech Lab is also part of Arts & Sciences and is located in our newest building that opens for classes for the first time on Sept. 21.

Tammy

Tammy R. Siebenberg
Director - Library & Media Services
Yakima Valley Community College