[LIBRARYDIR] RE: Books for online/distance students

Horton, Stan shorton at ghc.edu
Tue Jul 16 07:51:42 PDT 2013

We've wrestled with this question a very little with online courses, based on the history of our practice with our outreach centers in Illwaco and Raymond.  GHC does not have routine courier service to those centers, so we long ago decided to just mail them to the center.  But then we found that since many of the students there only come to the center one day a week, this did not get the items into their hands in anything like a timely manner.  Failing that meant term paper research became a no-no for instructors, so obviously we did not wish to discourage that-it was already an uphill battle to get information usage into those classes without throwing in some other roadblock!  So we realized it was the same cost to mail to the home as it was to the center, and we made that switch.  Returns can come to the center.

With that precedent, we long ago agreed the same basic process would hold for online students, although in these cases we have to consider returns.  Because it turns out something like 80+ percent of our online students are more time- than distance-inhibited, most can and do return items to one of the three campuses.   We deal with the small remainder on an individual basis, and get creative sometimes.

Experience has shown that returns, losses, overdues, etc. are no different than local checkouts.

Bottom line: do a real cost analysis.  I'd be surprised if the total annual expense exceeded a few hundred dollars-and if it did you can and should claim a screaming success in your information competency efforts.  Chalk it up to the cost of doing business successfully.

Stan

Stanley W. Horton
Associate Dean, Library, e-Learning, and Media Services
shorton at ghc.edu<mailto:shorton at ghc.edu>
360 538-4050
The John Spellman Library
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive