[LIBRARYDIR] Streaming media quick survey

Hersh-tudor, Andrew AHersh-tudor at wvc.edu
Wed Feb 13 09:05:30 PST 2013

1.       Yes. We also list several free streaming sources on our website
<http://commons/library/Media%20Department/Online%20Media.aspx> .

2.       Films on Demand - Master Academic, or whatever it is. Does
Tegrity count? We're kicking around ways to collect highlights that
faculty would like to make available to others.

3.       Well, in the last calendar year we've had 6,532 views of 1,466
titles. Given what I pay this resource is a heck of a bargain.  I can't
tell you exactly how many of those are individual views -vs-
in-classroom views, but I do know we have a lot of use in classrooms.

4.       A comment: as with all things internet, it's the long tail that
makes this interesting.  Of those 1,466 titles viewed, 693 titles were
viewed just once, while the others ranged from 2 views to 459 ("Lewis
and Clark: Part 1").  I would never have purchased 693 titles to be
viewed just once. Advice: remember how much video is viewed on cell
phones, via youtube or as a facebook link.  In that context the quality
we get from Films on Demand is pretty good.  We buy physical media when
a faculty member needs the visual content needs to be first rate. That
said, our media purchases have dropped since we added this collection.

Films on Demand sends a list of titles to be dropped, and my media
person reviews that using both her knowledge of how our faculty have
used media and the FOD usage stats.  I think we've purchased persistent
access to one title based on that review.

-Andrew