[Lcta] [EXTERNAL] RE: HB 2669

Hamam, Monia Monia.Hamam at Seattlecolleges.edu
Fri May 20 13:49:35 PDT 2022

Thanks so much for sharing, Janice!

Monia

From: LCTA <lcta-bounces at lists.ctc.edu> On Behalf Of Taylor, Janice (Tutoring Services) via LCTA
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 2:14 PM
To: 'lcta at lists.ctc.edu' <lcta at lists.ctc.edu>
Subject: [Lcta] FW: [EXTERNAL] RE: HB 2669

Hello,

Below is my inquiry and the response from OFM regarding the 1050 Rule we discussed at our last LCTA meeting.  I have followed up with my HR and been told that as long as we do not exceed the hourly rules of PEBB or DRS those benefits will not kick in but that beginning July 1st any employee that exceeds 1,050 hours or 12 months of employment, whichever comes first will become a permanent employee and be part of the civil service.

Some examples include:

  *   Paid leave, holiday pay
  *   Employment rights
  *   Disciplinary process in CBA applies
  *   Layoff procedures

I looked up the Civil Service WAC, https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/civil-service-rules/civil-service-rules-wac-357<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fofm.wa.gov%2Fstate-human-resources%2Fcivil-service-rules%2Fcivil-service-rules-wac-357&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ce42e36c881c04a15932608da3a72bf6f%7C02d8ff38d7114e31a9156cb5cff788df%7C0%7C0%7C637886561803222564%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=RRAcqysvD2JxOO6nksHHXhhQmnQpGB6tcGlCjCnxNyA%3D&reserved=0>.  You can review the information too.  Based on this I see that they will receive additional rights and some additional leave but it does not appear to have great cost impacts, I still have not gotten my HR to confirm this fact.  However, I still feel like it may be prudent to continue the route of requesting exemption for the original reasons set forth in the original presentation.

I have sent the following request to my HR office:

“Brandy at OFM said I would need to work with you and Brad specifically to file for an exception to RCW 41.06.070 but in reviewing the HB 2269 and accompanying Senate Bill I really don’t think we need to file for an exception, I think our program IS an exception and I would really like for you to help me with getting this figured out with OFM on Clark’s behalf.

House Bill 2669 also has an accompanying Senate Bill 6184, which amends RCW 41.06.070 on Page 4, lines 15-22 it specifically states the following:

[cid:image002.png at 01D86C50.6F12DBC0]

Tutoring Services at Clark College, and Tutoring and Learning Centers in general across WA state fit this exception because we are a unique program that does provide continuing education activities and counseling of students.  Tutoring personnel provide so much more than assisting students with coursework, they provide counsel, model success behaviors, mentorship, and showcase to students moving on to the next step beyond community college.  Furthermore we have extremely specialized training, in our case we even have internationally recognized certified training.  Many of our desk staff and tutors do not come to us until their time as a student is almost done here as we are only a 2 year institution, therefore it is imperative that Clark College Tutoring Services (and Tutoring & Learning Centers in general) be exempted from HB 2669 so that we can retain these employees past their time here as a student- as temporary employee exempt from civil service laws.

Based in this, aren’t we already considered a program that would fit an exemption or will you need to file an official request?”

I encourage everyone to determine your best next steps 😊

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Janice