[GuidedPathways] Thank you + Summary of Key Insights on Class Scheduling

Lopez, Leticia Tish.Lopez at seattlecolleges.edu
Mon Sep 16 09:23:06 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank the following schools for graciously taking the time to fill out our class scheduling survey:

  *   Bates Technical College
  *   Bellingham Technical College
  *   Centralia College
  *   Clark College
  *   Clover Park Technical College
  *   Columbia Basin
  *   Edmonds Community College
  *   Everett Community College
  *   Green River College
  *   Lake Washington Institute of Technology
  *   Lower Columbia College
  *   North Seattle College
  *   Olympic Colllege
  *   Pierce College
  *   Renton Technical College
  *   Seattle Central College
  *   South Puget Sound Community College
  *   Skagit Valley College
  *   Spokane Community College
  *   Spokane Falls Community College
  *   Whatcom Community College
  *   Wenatchee Valley College

Overall, our day-long scheduling retreat on 9/13 went really well.  Approximately 25 members of our campus community (vice presidents, deans, program coordinators, schedulers, advisors, faculty, guided pathway leads, etc.) came together to review all the research and data we collected on classroom scheduling as well as learn more about how each division currently schedules classes.  From this work, the group identified three areas they would like to focus on next year to enhance classroom scheduling on our campus.

Here are a few key insights we learned from each of you:

  1.  The schools that expressed the most satisfaction with their scheduling process, for the most part, share the following traits: a) they adopted a campus-wide annual scheduling process with agreed-upon processes and deadlines and b) their process was collaborative and intentionally designed to give faculty, deans, schedulers, advisors, etc. the opportunity to review draft schedules together before being made available to students.
  2.  Department or division "ownership" (real or perceived) of rooms as well as faculty-driven scheduling continues to be the biggest barrier to most school's ability to create class schedules based on student need.  Several schools noted that scheduling reform needs to incorporate a culture shift to address this challenge.
  3.  ctcLink is going to change the way campuses do scheduling.  This was repeated by several schools in our system who have already transitioned from Legacy to ctcLink.
  4.  There is some great innovation happening in our state around scheduling, including:
     *   Whatcom's guarantee to AS online and evening students that they can complete their degree within three years. (link<Behttps://www.whatcom.edu/home/showdocument?id=7426>)
     *   Wenatchee Valley College's set of Scheduling Principles that guides their work. (link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xe0SsV7bKpkTowFp15gzYMiUlq3R-XufB-hbMjJ53VA/edit?usp=sharing>)
     *   Whatcom Community College's "STEMplate" which is a guide, created by STEM faculty, for minimizing class scheduling conflicts in STEM.
     *   South Puget Sound's class scheduling process.  We need to learn more, but it sounds innovative and promising!
     *   Edmond Community College's internal google pages site for scheduling development which all campus employees can access.  We were only able to access a few pages, but it's impressive in its organization, transparency, and clarity.

Again, thank you to each college listed above for graciously sharing your class scheduling information, documents, and suggestions with us.  I am continually grateful to work in a state community and technical college system that understands the importance of information sharing for the betterment of all.

Best,
Tish

Leticia Lopez
Faculty Co-Lead, Guided Pathways Initiative
English Coordinator
South Seattle College
Office: RSB 193
(206) 934-5872