[GuidedPathways] 2nd Meeting of the Instructional Dean/Department Chair CoP!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Tue Feb 12 14:07:52 PST 2019

SAVE THE DATE

Instructional Deans and Department Chairs

Community of Practice (CoP)

Plan NOW to join your colleagues around the state for our 2nd Convening!

Friday, March 22, 2019
9:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. South Seattle College

Cost: $19 (the cost of a per diem lunch)

Hosting CoP Member
Thanks to Jill McDonough
Interim Associate Dean of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Academic Programs

Pre-Arrival Homework

*       Purpose: We will collectively create a wisdom artifact for CoP members: "What I Wish I Knew Before I Started the Job." Individual Task: Consider a significant lesson you learned the hard way in your role as a dean or department chair. Briefly write it out in a way you could read to others or allow others to read it and bring a copy to the CoP meeting.

CoP Agenda:
(9:30 - 10:00)

*       Double-confidentiality & norm setting
(10:00 - 11: 30)

*       "What's Working" Leisure Greets

o   Purpose: This protocol will provide you with an opportunity to get to know other CoP participants, engage in meaningful dialogue, and get good ideas you can "steal." Task: Share one thing you are doing in your role that is working well as you listen to the good work of others.
(10:30- 11:30)

*       "What I Wish I Knew Before I Started the Job"

o   During this session, we'll share our homework and stories with each other in small groups (task), then collect them in a wisdom artifact to share our individual and collective knowledge (purpose).
(11:30-12:00) LUNCH PROVIDED (salad, sandwich, veggies, water)

(12:00 - 2:00)
*       "Strengths Mapping"

o   At the fall meeting, we learned there was a great deal of expertise in our CoP and participants wanted to "map" it so we know who to call in a crisis (purpose)! During this session, we'll start to generate an inventory of our collective expertise (K-12, placement, faculty learning communities, etc.) (task).
(2:00 - 3:30)
Scenarios & Panel Discussion

o   At the fall meeting, participants requested that we read and discuss scenarios (task) . . . and then hear from a panel of experienced deans/department chairs how they would handle the situation to learn from their hard-won experience (task).
(3:00 - 3:30)
Formative Assessment

o   What's Working? What's Not Working? What Would You Like to Do at Our Next Meeting?

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)
Assessment, Teaching, and Learning
jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-4354 * c: 206-310-1291
Register Now for the 2018 New Faculty Institute<http://bit.ly/2kGygBt>

"I'm not interested in the exceptions, only the patterns. As a culture, we (the U.S.) focus too much on exceptions, often fooling ourselves into believing that because there are exceptions, the rule no longer exists or that it's easily broken by anyone with enough willpower or hutzpah."

[*]     Asao B. Inoue, Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies<http://bit.ly/2xvacY4>