[GuidedPathways] Career Discernment and Exploratory Sequences

Barzen, Erin Erin.Barzen at seattlecolleges.edu
Mon Nov 5 13:28:42 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

South Seattle College is working on developing both career discernment and exploratory sequences for meta-majors (we call them Areas of Study) and undecided students. We have found this challenging and are curious what you all are working on and how you have addressed these two important components of Guided Pathways redesign work. Please let us know your progress on one or more of the following:

*         Before students start classes, what are you doing to support career discernment?

o   What does this look like on your campus and how is it going?

o   Or, what are you planning to do and why?

*         What supports are you providing (or developing) for students who know their area of study/meta-major, but have not yet selected a program?

o   How are you monitoring this?

*         Concerning college success courses, are you combining elements of career/program exploration into the course along with the traditional study skills and resource navigation elements, or are they separate offerings/courses?

o   What does this look like on your campus and how is it going?

o   Do you have specific learning outcomes in your course(s) for career/program exploration?

o   Or, what are you planning to do and why?

*         If you are working with a recent high school graduate, how do you find out what career discernment work they have already had at the high school level?

*         What is one thing that you feel, if implemented, would move the needle most effectively to support students in their effort to clarify their path?

Sincerely,

Erin Barzen
Director of Retention and Completion
South Seattle College
6000 16th Avenue SW
Seattle, WA  98106-1499
Phone: (206) 934-6720  Fax: (206) 934-7947
Erin.Barzen at seattlecolleges.edu<mailto:Erin.Barzen at seattlecolleges.edu>

Student Services Mission Statement:
We empower our diverse student population to achieve their academic, career, and personal goals.
As a network of student services professionals, we value:
Community,  Equity,  Excellence,  Innovation,  Student Success