[GuidedPathways] Q about your alignment of programs to metamajors

Viola, Katie Katie.Viola at lwtech.edu
Thu Aug 16 18:17:36 PDT 2018

Hi Rosie,

At LWTech, we list programs only within one meta major. While, I was not part of the decision making process on "why", I think there are benefits to this model that I would love to share. These come from a student services perspective. This also comes from a (mostly) technical college/program grouping perspective.

As the director of our advising office, I love that our advisor's caseloads are split by meta major and area of study, giving them expertise about particular programs of study and pathways. My advisors advise on certificates, AAS programs, and BAS programs within their meta major and also keep abreast of any articulation agreements/transfer options available. This expertise is very helpful for students within the meta major who may switch majors or want to know about alternative pathways.

Additionally, this model assists the advisors in building strong relationships with the instructional division (deans, faculty), who are also split by meta major/program grouping. The consistency of having a team that is all on the same page supporting the same students makes for better academic advising, easier partnership across divisions, better problem solving (for issues such as substitutions, complaints, course cancellations, etc), and far stronger communication than ever before.

If a college buys into the idea of meta majors as more than a grouping of programs on their website, and reviews/changes the structure/functions at the college around meta majors (like we have), I think there are very strong benefits.

Food for thought - I hope this is helpful!

Thanks,

Katie Viola
Director of Student Development
West Building, W207
Pronouns: She/Her

[lwtech-logo-primary-teal-gold-low-res]

11605 132nd Avenue NE | Kirkland, WA 98034
* 425-739-8362 | * katie.viola at lwtech.edu<mailto:katie.viola at lwtech.edu>
* www.lwtech.edu<http://www.lwtech.edu/>