[FYE-CSS] College Success course - student communication and ctcLink

Shistle, Moriah mshistle at shoreline.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:58:29 PDT 2023

Hi Erica,

We at Shoreline find ourselves in a similar situation. We have a robust College Success course, but have not yet made it mandatory.  We do not require students to meet with an advisor (yet) or to fill out a degree plan (yet).  We are working on sample program maps that will be posted on the web for prospective students (probably by Fall), and plan to include COL 101 in those sample plans.

In the absence of a requirement, we have implemented a communications plan to promote the course, which includes:

  *   In our welcome message to new applicants, we say that "all new AA-DTA or undecided students are expected to enrolled in COL 101."
  *   We post content to our social media accounts when new student registration opens
  *   We ask ESL instructors to recommend the course to their students who will meet the language requirement the following term
  *   Our outreach team brings flyers to community tabling events and promotes the course
  *   We remind advisors each term to encourage students to enroll, as appropriate

We have Title III grants that call out ambitious enrollment targets for this course, so we are exploring how to make it a requirement for most new students.

My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Best regards,

Moriah Shistle, M.Ed

Associate Director, SIP Grant

Pronouns: she/her/hers