[Factc] Letter Regarding Faculty Conversions (WA SB 5194) from the Black Support and Solidarity Data Team

DEI WA CTCs dei.wa.ctcs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 08:08:24 PST 2022

To all those within the WA CTC system:

We recognize that every CTC employee's voice has power in making positive
changes on behalf of our students. We encourage you to lend your support to
advocate on behalf of disenfranchised student populations by increasing
faculty diversity. After reading the information below, please sign on to
this letter individually, through the form link underneath our signature,
to show your solidarity.

The Black Support and Solidarity (BSS) Data Team, with the support of the
DEI in WA CTCs Collective, requests that acute attention be given to the
needs, wants, and demands of Black and other historically underserved
student communities as colleges add faculty as part of Senate Bill 5194
<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bill%20Reports/Senate/5194-S2.E%20SBR%20FBR%2021.pdf?q=20211201152643>
.

This bill requires that colleges increase the number of tenure track
faculty with the expectation of the increased successful completion of
college degrees or certificates among all students but with a firm emphasis
on supporting first generation and other historically underserved students.

BSS offers these tools to help our institutions create processes to recruit
and retain a diversified, inclusive, equity driven faculty that are
representative of our students:

   -

   If your campus has “asks” from Black student groups or college caucuses,
   we encourage you to consider these as part of the criteria for how
   positions may be allocated at your institution. We also encourage you to
   consider the 2020-22 WA CTC Research Action Plan to Dismantle Systemic
   Racism
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/12bx76Wuumfs3rS5sn6t2jXQwIhKr2yJq/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108643149279061319940&rtpof=true&sd=true>
   .

   -

   You are all familiar with DEHPD’s (Diversity and Equity in Hiring and
   Professional Development) 17 Steps in the Hiring Process: Potential
   Barriers and Best Practices
   <https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/DiversityEquityHiringandDevelopment_03-21-2019.pdf>.
   We urge you to review the information found in:
   -

      Step 2: Role of Appointing Authority / Hiring Manager
      -

      Step 3: Interview / Search / Selection Committees
      -

      Steps 14 &15: Employee Onboarding & Retention and Inclusion

   -

   You will also find that Oregon State University’s Search Advocate
   <https://searchadvocate.oregonstate.edu/> Program has an array of
   information that will support staff, faculty, and students’ preparation for
   representation on hiring committees.

Thank you,

*The Black Support and Solidarity Data Team*

   -

   Corey Kline, Everett Community College
   -

   DeLon Lewis, Everett Community College
   -

   Myra Odom-Oby, Everett Community College
   -

   Beatriz Rodriguez, Everett Community College
   -

   Kaleb Ode, Everett Community College
   -

   Katie Cunnion, Green River College
   -

   Amanda Chin, Green River College
   -

   Leslie Potter-Henderson, Yakima Valley College
   -

   Michael Tuncap, Center for Guided Pathways

*With support from the DEI in WA CTCs Collective’s workteams:*

   -

   Constellations & Instruction
   -

   Undocumented Students
   -

   Bellas (Antiracist ELA)
   -

   Policy, Research, and Planning

*Click here to add your name in support*
<https://forms.gle/YcyKP35svorPKuAq6>